Thursday, March 16, 2006

the outside reno's begin....

many new things will be happening to our house this spring and summer. the outside is going to be majorly changed. here is a list of things we are hoping to get accomplished:


*New deck (extended and adding a pergola- wooden deck roof structure- pic below)

*Adding grass and plants, bark mulch, and shrubbery (love the word shrubbery)- basically landscaping the front and backyard!

  • * New exterior paint and trim (thinking a lively green like inside avocado green for the paint, trim?? can't agree! Suggestions?)

*New front walk and stone path around the house

*New windows

*A garden!! My favourite part- However I do need some suggestions (Liz!) for what to plant. So far I have the followingideas : leeks, green onions, onions, jalepeno's, carrots, yams?, lettuce?, tomatoes, strawberries, basil, dill, mint, cilantro....any other ideas??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

as we are also planning a backyard and exterior paint reno this summer i have a couple websites you can look at for good ideas, decks.com have awesome pics of different pergolas and built in planters and benches, while benjaminmoore.com has a paint shop where you can either download a digital pic of your house or use one of their generics to look at preset color combos! there are many unique ones to choose from...check it out and have fun!

Elizabeth said...

sweet!!! I'm stoked that you are going to have a garden. Carrots and Lettuce are easy to grow from seed. Leeks, Onions and Green Onions will stay in the space you give them and should be good from seed (or starter onion). Herbs are invasive and will spread throughout your whole space, if you let them (I suggest you buy the plants and pot them on your deck - flower box perhaps). Strawberries will also send out runners and take over. A closed in (dig in some bricks)strawberry plot might thelp to restrict them. Depending on what tomatoes you choose to plant, they need a little more space. Peppers need more light (tomatoes, too). Sounds AWESOME!!! Let me nkow how it goes...

Anonymous said...

Great ideas for your garden. However, I do agree with Elisabeth on the herbs. Mint is the really nasty one for spreading and spreading. It will appear everywhere. It is a container must. Hope I can come over and help.