Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gosh darn it- those kids CAN be so cute

Everyday the kids in my class amaze me. That is why I truly love grade 5. They are witty and smart, and down right sensible and cute.

Two funny things today. More than two, but these are the ones I am going to highlight. And I should do this more often.

For C.A.P.P. (Personal Planning) I had gotten these free drug booklets from the doctor's office, and gave one to each student to keep, as we have been learning about drugs and alcohol. They quietly read through them, did the word searches, etc. for the block. At the end, one boy asked me if that was C.A.P.P. ( the menu on the board said thats what we were doing). I told him yes, and he sadi "Then we all got really good marks today!?' - in all seriousness! Hilarious. I just smiled and said yes.

The other cute thing, that just warmed my heart was in Math! Of all things!
I have been teaching the kids mental math strategies for their times tables up to 9. So for instance, instead of thinking iof it as an 8x , sperate it up to a 4x and a 4x. Or 6 times, a 3x and a3x and add together. OR, it told them they might have a special times table , like 7 x7, that they always know, so they can use that one to addd or subtract to. I was trying to emphasize the importance of having a few special ones like that ( 8x8, 9x9, etc.)

So in marking their litle strategy sheets at the table tonight, I stumbled across this little lost soul in my class, or as I see know, maybe not so lost. For her strategy for one question she wrote : "its my little gem." By that I understood that she just knows that one.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! Even though she didn't state the strategy like I had asked, I loved her answer and gave her a mark.

I'm a sucker.

1 comment:

Bloggy Mama said...

you are a sucker.. makes me miss the classroom ;)